Detroit Lakes, MN
Originally completed in 1917, the 36,000 square foot, 4 story Graystone Hotel was once a hub of community commerce. The Hotel featured marble wainscoting, terrazzo floors and a grand fireplace in the lobby. The hotel discontinued service in 1973 and slowly fell into disrepair before the non-profit Midwest Minnesota Community Development Corporation chose bhh Partners to help restore the building to its former place in the community. MMCDC retained the mix of residential and commercial use with 22 income adjusted housing units complimented by commercial space and public space in the lobby. New windows preserve the natural architectural lines, meet current building codes and are energy efficient. A state-of-the-art security system, fiber optics, new mechanical systems and new plumbing make the complex truly modern. The Hotel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.